Monday, March 1, 2010

DAVID IN THE WILDERNESS - THE LAW OF PROVISION

Psalm 23:1 (A Psalm of David.) The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. 3 He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. 5 Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


The Law of Provision is that the Lord is our Provider. In the wilderness we have no other provider so it becomes clear that we can trust him. The problem here, as in all of life’s deep issues, is that if we are convinced that we are our own providers we can miss the lesson.


In the time of need we can:


1. Despair, lose our freedom and become dependent on others.


2. Move in the flesh and seek to provide for ourselves regardless of personal cost or the cost to others.


3. Trust the Lord and accept his provision - this is the heart of contentment.

The provision of the wilderness is basic needs - It teaches us to defeat the Lust of the Eyes through contentment

IN OUR WORK

Luke 3:14 And some soldiers were questioning him, saying, "And what about us, what shall we do?" And he said to them, "Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages."

IN OUR CIRCUMSTANCES OF LIFE
I Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.
IN OUR DAILY FOOD


Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.


IN OUR DESIRES FOR MORE


I Timothy 6:8 And if we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.


IN OUR UNDERSTANDING WHAT THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE OF PROVISION IS -


JESUS IS ENOUGH


Hebrew 13:5 Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,"


David learned the provision of God in the wilderness


His life can be seen in four segments


1. His life at home in the wilderness tending the sheep


I Samuel 16:11 And Samuel said to Jesse, "Are these all the children?" And he said, "There remains yet the youngest, and behold, he is tending the sheep." Then Samuel said to Jesse, "Send and bring him; for we will not sit down until he comes here."


I Samuel 17:28 Now Eliab his oldest brother heard when he spoke to the men; and Eliab's anger burned against David and he said, "Why have you come down? And with whom have you left those few sheep in the wilderness?


There he learned the basic lessons that formed his life.


2. In the wilderness after he was anointed King. This was the beginning of his “Higher Education” It was the season of intense training in being king. Interestingly the practice of the West has been theoretical education before practice. The primary means of education in the East has been apprenticeship. This is typically God’s practice as well. The apprentice is given responsibility first then taught the practice of his trade. The second period of the wilderness was this training in David’s life.


1Samuel 23:10 Then David said, "O Lord God of Israel, Thy servant has heard for certain that Saul is seeking to come to Keilah to destroy the city on my account.

3. The full practice of Kingship - including massive failures which eventually made him a better King though much suffering attended the lesson for him personally and for many others.



4. His preparation for God’s House through the next generation


Psalm 23 specifically points out the lesson of provisions he learned in the second wilderness period


Psalm 23:1 (A Psalm of David.) The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.


That God was the reason for his provision and that his provision would always be enough:


2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;


That God fills our need for rest, food and security.


He leads me beside quiet waters.


That in God our thirst is quenched, our anxieties are stilled.


3 He restores my soul;

That God restores our emotions, strength of will and mental well being.


3b He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
That following God’s ways and direction lead to a life of righteousness.


4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me;


That God’s presence frees from fear


4b Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.


That God’s discipline and protection are our comfort


5 Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;


That enemies cannot hinder God’s provision but only serve to enhance it


5b Thou hast anointed my head with oil;


That God provides our ministry position and the power to carry it out


5c My cup overflows.


That God gives in abundance


6 Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,


That God’s favor is the basis of our life’s meaning and value


6b And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


That the end of all of provision is intimacy with our God in his House.

2 comments:

  1. Another excellent study, Leonard, and very relevant to what I am seeing and experiencing here in Rwanda. How often I have failed to understand the law of God's provision. Blessings...Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! You are a blessing to all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to make a comment!